Current:Home > NewsPoinbank:RFK Jr. backs out of his own birthday fundraiser gala after Martin Sheen, Mike Tyson said they're not attending -Capitatum
Poinbank:RFK Jr. backs out of his own birthday fundraiser gala after Martin Sheen, Mike Tyson said they're not attending
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 04:46:58
Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is Poinbankbacking out of his own birthday fundraiser gala after celebrity guests Martin Sheen, Dionne Warwick, Mike Tyson and Andrea Bocelli, who were reported to be attending, instead stated that they would skip it.
The gala is hosted by the super PAC American Values 2024, which backs Kennedy's presidential candidacy, and another PAC.
- Who's running for president in 2024? Meet the candidates
Kennedy press secretary Stefanie Spear confirmed to CBS News that the independent candidate will not be attending the birthday event. This was first reported by U.S. News & World Report.
In late December, American Values 2024 shared on X, formerly known as Twitter, a Daily Mail story reporting the fundraiser event to celebrate Kennedy's 70th birthday and listed the four celebrities as guests.
Warwick was the first to respond on X, denying she was going and calling the PAC's announcement "absolutely ridiculous."
Soon afterward, Martin Sheen, who played the president on the TV series "The West Wing," took to Instagram.
"I do not endorse RFK Jr. nor will I be attending his party," Sheen said. He added that he's "whole heartedly supporting Joe Biden and the Democratic ticket in 2024."
Since Sheen doesn't have an X account, Bradley Whitford, who played the White House deputy chief of staff on the TV show, tweeted on Sheen's behalf.
"There's a story going around saying that Martin Sheen is supporting @RobertFKennedyJr for president. The story is incorrect," Whitford said on X.
The Kennedy campaign previously told CBS News it didn't have "anything to do with organizing this event."
A representative for Andrea Bocelli told Rolling Stone that the Italian tenor is not singing at the gala. Page Six reported that a representative of the former boxer said Mike Tyson was the only star who admitted he had been invited — but he, too, declined the invitation.
- In:
- Mike Tyson
- RFK Jr.
- Dionne Warwick
Cristina Corujo is a digital journalist covering politics at CBS News. Cristina previously worked at ABC News Digital producing video content and writing stories for its website. Her work can also be found in the Washington Post, NBC and NY1.
veryGood! (34978)
Related
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Chevron reports LNG outage at Australian plant as strike action escalates
- Missouri lawmakers fail to override Gov. Parson’s vetoes, and instead accept pared-back state budget
- Watch: 12-year-old Florida boy who learned CPR from 'Stranger Things' saves drowning man
- Illinois Gov. Pritzker calls for sheriff to resign after Sonya Massey shooting
- A school shooting in Louisiana left 1 dead, 2 hurt. Classes are canceled until Friday.
- NFLPA calls for major change at all stadiums after Aaron Rodgers' injury on turf field
- DeSantis says he does not support criminalizing women who get abortions
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- UNC Chapel Hill lockdown lifted after man with gun arrested; students frustrated by weapon culture
Ranking
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- NASA confirmed its Space Launch System rocket program is unaffordable. Here's how the space agency can cut taxpayer costs.
- DeSantis calls NAACP's warning about Florida to minorities and LGBTQ people a stunt
- Planned Parenthood to resume offering abortions next week in Wisconsin, citing court ruling
- A New York Appellate Court Rejects a Broad Application of the State’s Green Amendment
- France bans iPhone 12 sales over high radiation-emission levels
- Earth is outside its ‘safe operating space for humanity’ on most key measurements, study says
- Jalen Hurts, Eagles host Kirk Cousins, Vikings in prime time again in their home opener
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Palestinian man who fled Lebanon seeking safety in Libya was killed with his family by floods
Whoever dug a tunnel into a courthouse basement attacked Montenegro’s justice system, president says
Law Roach, the image architect, rethinks his own image with a New York Fashion Week show
Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
Luxury cruise ship pulled free days after getting stuck off Greenland's coast
China says EU probe into Chinese electric vehicle exports, subsidies is protectionist
Brazilian Indigenous women use fashion to showcase their claim to rights and the demarcation of land